Death in Belmont Residence Hall

Photo courtesy of
Photo courtesy of

A Colorado State University-Pueblo student died Tuesday morning in his room at Belmont Residence Hall.

Several students said in passing that they had seen a fire truck, ambulance and sheriff’s department personnel outside the residence hall earlier in the day, and at 3:58 p.m., an email was sent to the campus community from Cora Zaletel, director of external affairs that stated a student had died. The press release said that Juan Munoz, 30, died unexpectedly in his Belmont Residence Hall room.

An informational and awareness meeting was held in the Fireplace Room of Belmont Hall Tuesday evening at 5 p.m. to discuss the incident and offer counseling to students. A sign was placed on doors at Belmont Hall announcing the meeting time and availability of resources.

“We have little information that we can share at this time about how Juan died,” Zaletel said in the press release.

Sara Bale, a junior psychology major who lives in Belmont Hall, said, “My prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends of this fellow ThunderWolf. Please don’t listen to the rumors going around campus or on social media as there is very little true info at this time.”

According to the press release, the Sheriff’s Office on campus said they do not believe there is any reason to be afraid or that there are any safety issues.

Counseling services and representatives from the university are available to all students Tuesday evening in the Fireplace Room of Belmont Hall, and after, those who continue to need counseling services are encouraged to contact Student Counseling Services at 719-549-2830.

Condolences go out to the Munoz family and those who knew Juan. As more details surface, we will update this story.