Looking for something new to put out on the table for an upcoming holiday dinner? All this week, the staff of the Today at Colorado State University-Pueblo are sharing their favorite recipes for meals and desserts to try out for the holiday season!
Note: Fall Break will be from Nov. 19 to Nov. 23 this semester.
From – Melanie Mau, Staff writer
A microwave-friendly food staple: “Easy-Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole”
Courtesy of Bob Manasco at allrecipes.com
Don’t have an oven to cook a favorite side dish for your holiday dinner? Stuck on campus with a dearly beloved microwave? Bob Manasco has the solution for that: a classic casserole dish with the ability to be cooked right in the microwave for those without kitchen appliances or in a hurry. With a preparation time at 10 minutes and cooking time at 15 minutes, this dish can be made in under a half hour.
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed cheese, cubed
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 dash hot sauce
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- Place cheese in a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole dish; cook in microwave until mostly melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken soup, wild rice, broccoli, chopped onion, celery, hot sauce, and black pepper.
- Microwave until fully cooked and bubbling, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating halfway through cooking.
Optional: Sprinkle French-fried onions over casserole; cook for 1 more minute.